You got a Westell 7500 modem from Verizon DSL but already have your own router that you want to use.
The following few steps explain how to make the Westell 7500 work in bridge mode.
Note: If at any point you feel like something went wrong, the modem isn’t responding.. anything at all – DON’T PANIC! That’s what our little reset friend is for, just hold down the reset button for about 10 seconds, the modem will restart itself and you’re back to step 1.
How to set Verizon Westell 7500 to bridge mode:
First make sure everything is connected properly, your connection for the first part should look like this:
DSL line > Westell 7500 > Ethernet cable into your computer
(and of course power… apparently nothing works without power – go figure)
Part 1 – switching to bridge mode
1. Open your favorite browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1
2. Log in using your user name and password, if never changed the default is admin / password
3. Go to My Network > Network Connections (left menu)
4. Click on Broadband connection.
5. Click on the edit icon in the VC’s table (bottom table).
6. Set Protocol to Bridge.
7. Set Bridge mode to Bridge.
8. Hit apply to save changes.
Part 2 – Disabling wireless – optional but very recommended
1. Click Wireless network
2. Basic settings
3. Switch wireless network to Off
Part 3 – Disabling DHCP
1. Go to Network connections > Lan.
2. Uncheck Private lan (first option).
You are now in bridge mode, the modem will restart and your computer will no longer get an IP from it, connect your router to the modem, set your IP address and you’re good to go.
As always, if you have any questions – fire away.
Westell 7500 customer guide – Verizon